Safety during a violent incident:
- Practice how to get out of your home safely.
- Keep purse and car keys readily available.
- Teach children how to use the telephone to contact the police and the fire department.
Safety when preparing to leave:
- Open a savings account to increase independence.
- Rehearse an escape plan.
- Practice it with your children.
Safety with an Order of Protection:
- Keep your protection order on or near you at all times.
- Give your protection order to police departments in communities where you visit family or friends.
- Inform your employer, minister, closest friend and relatives that you have a protection order in effect. Show them pictures of the abuser.
- Ask for help screening telephone calls at work.
- Call police immediately if order is violated.
Items to consider taking when leaving:
- Identification, birth certificates, social security cards
- School and vaccination records
- Money, checkbook, ATM card, credit cards, bank books
- House and car keys
- Driver's license and registration
- Welfare identification
- Work permits, green cards, passport(s)
- Divorce papers
- Medical records
- Lease or rental agreements, house deeds, mortgage payment book
- Insurance papers
The above information was adapted from the WV Coalition Against Domestic Violence - For a Safer State of Family.